Thursday, September 9, 2010

Labor Day Weekend

This past weekend I raced in my last road racing event of the season.  Boy, its been a long season.  However it has made the summer just fly by.  I can't believe that fall is almost here and college football has already started.   In a sense its a good feeling, I can finally kick back and enjoy life.  It will not be till the end of March next year that I will race on the road again.  However this doesn't mean I am done racing.  This coming weekend I will be racing my very first mountain bike race.  It will be a warm up for the Iceman Cometh race in November.  Those will be a story for another day.  
 
So the Debaets-Devos Criterium took place on Monday.  I was pumped up for this race, it was local and I was feeling like I was on great form after the suffering I endured in Traverse City.  The circuit was just over a mile and was shaped like an "L", with two tight 180° turns.  The weather was mild and windy...yep, its seems fall just showed up out of the blue.  The race was scheduled to run for 45 minutes.  The race started off with a flurry of attacks.  I joined in on attacking, everything in this race felt effortless.  I was defiantly on a good day.  I rode off the front a couple times really hoping to make a breakaway that would stick.

As a team we were racing great, we continually attacked as a team and worked very hard to protect the gaps by placing ourselves at the front.  This race was a blast, by far the most fun I have had in a criterium this year.  With three laps to go there was a small breakaway off the front.  I guess in a sense the team effort had really inspired me, so with two to go I went to the front of the pack to absolutely hammer the pace and bring the field back together.  I killed myself for for the last two laps finally letting up before the second to last corner, I had brought the field back together and worn some of the field out.  The race was now in the hands of my teammates, who I had positioned with my pace setting.   I sat up to coast the last little bit, I was tired.  However I was rewarded with one of my teammates taking fourth in the sprint.  All and all it was a great day and a great way to end the season.  We had won the team championship in Michigan for Cat 3.  I can't wait for next season.  However next up begins my mountain bike saga, with an encore climb to the top of Mt. Hood.

No comments:

Post a Comment