Thursday, June 16, 2011

Road to Recovery

It's been close to 6 weeks since I hurt my achilles tendon.  After going through 4 weeks of physical therapy things are finally starting to heal.  I'm not sure how long it will take me to get to 100%, but its nice to finally be able to ride the bike again at speed.  With the help of ART (Active Release Techniques) most the adhesion's (scar tissue) has been broken up in my left calf.  However there is still some left really...really deep.  Maybe over time that will break down.  Out of all this I have learned a lot about recover.  Also I have learned about the need to use various stick and foam rollers to work trigger points and adhesion's out of the muscles after daily workouts.  That so far has been a painful process, but over time will hurt less.  Turns out my muscles have lots of spots of scar tissue after years of abuse.  I am also now using custom orthotics in my shoes and working on a new pedal technique to prevent my heel strike by raising my saddle and using zero float on my pedals.  So far that is working out well for me.  I also recently purchased a PowerTap rear wheel to help monitor my training intensity better.  One to prevent over training, and two to help get faster.  This weekend will be the real test, I signed up to do the State Time Trial Championship.  I don't expect to do well given my severe lack of training, but a top 10 would really make me happy.   For now a time trial is perfect for me, steady go at your own pace.  My return to road racing will come in a few more works when my fitness is better and I know my tendon can handle the surges that a bike race will punish you with.  Hopefully I can avoid this kind of injury in the future,  by no means is it fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment