Thursday, August 11, 2011

Hines Drive Time Trial

Time trialing has always been a favorite of mine.  This year however it has been a big challenge for several reasons.  Firstly being the ongoing tendon issues, and secondly I sold my Ridley Noah.   While I was suppose to have my new TT frame by now the bike gods struck down on me and said no.   I will have the bike ready this winter though!   So once again like the state time trial I had my team mates bike to use.  The one improvement to the 20k out and back course this year was new pavement in the start finish area, other then that it was still the same evil course with the head wind finish.  While the weather was good for a race, I was not.  The previous night I had been in a wedding...enough said.  I was just doing this race for kicks and to snag some points.  I will not go into to much detail but the time trail went good.  I clocked in a 30:30, about 90 seconds slower then last year.  Not to bad considering my shape.  That time was good enough for 9th.

The bad out of the day/week was my tendon.  I tried my hardest to ramp up training for the state road race, however it backfired.  The Wednesday before the time trial my tendonitis had kicked in full fledged.  For a bit I was worried I had hurt it again.  So I took the 3 days leading into the time trial off.  Sunday when it was time to get on the bike things felt good.  However at the end of the event the tendon was angry again.  After the race I made a decision, the road racing season is basically over for me.  I will still do two more crits locally for fun, but I do not have the desire to train through swelling anymore.  I can't really get more then 6-7 hours a week of training before I have issues.  That amount is not enough to get me back up to speed for the level I compete at. So I decided to take my riding off the road, to often riding on the road I get caught up in the spirit of racing and hammer it to hard.  I am sick and tired of popping ibuprofen like candy and icing my ankle.

So until the winter months I will spend my time riding trails for fun.  Resting and slowing down the reconditioning of my leg.  I will probably do up to 5 mountain bike races for kicks and hopefully have a good Iceman.  It has been a disappointing road season for me so I just want to put it behind me.  Hopefully by spring next year the body will be healthy and ready to fire at 100% again and the leg issues will all be behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment