Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Michigan Time Trial State Championships


This past weekend I participated in my third State TT.  I have never raced a good 40k in my life, I wasn't expecting much better this weekend either.  My fitness was on a downswing needing a short break and rebuild phase.  So I was just hoping I could sneak through the weekend and snag a decent result. To my advantage the race was in the middle of nowhere leading to a lower turnout.  It was going to be another smoking hot day but luckily I started at 9:05 AM and it was only 76 or so with high humidity.

The race was two laps around a 20k course.  When I started I could quickly tell I went a little overkill on my intervals Wednesday, I didn't feel great.  I was just hoping that I could break one of my goals of breaking an hour in the 40k.  When I finished my first lap I was around 29 minutes, still very much on my pace I wanted pre race to finish in the 58 minute range.  The only issue was though I was gassed and the heat was starting to get to me.   I gutted it out though and finished just barely under an hour,  not quite my main goal but still breaking the hour.  To my surprise that time was good enough for 3rd in State for Cat 3 and 4th in Cat 3 overall.  The winner was from Indiana and not eligible for medals.  Overall it was still a bad time trial for me, not to take anything away from the result but my particular field was week because overall I did not place well and despite being 3rd my pacing was well off what I could have done.  It still feels awesome to win a medal and to celebrate I jumped in Lake Michigan later, pictured above.  The water was maybe 60 degrees, but felt great considering the 90+ humid day.  Hopefully after a mid summer break and a little relaxing I can finish off the second have of the season strong and finish well in the Michigan Challenge Points Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment