Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Food Poisoning!

While the weekend of July 9th, 10th was suppose to be my return to racing...Taco Bell said otherwise.  In the wee hours Saturday morning before I was suppose to race my body went into shutdown and expel mode.   I had manage to come down with a good old violent case of food poisoning.   Just when I thought my bad luck was over something just had to happen.   I wasn't about to let that keep me down though, I still went to participate and support the weekend races.  Up first was a brand new event, a Criterium in downtown Detroit.  The circuit was set up next to the Tigers baseball stadium.  The event was really great, however it was also super hot.  Even though I had no energy I suited up and did 3 laps, retiring on the third.  By no means should I have been racing, however I had already paid and registered weeks prior and just by being at the start I was just a number in the field.  Which is good for the future of the race.  I spent most the day in the shade trying to keep fluid down.   All and all I hope the event returns for next year, its also nice having races located close by.

I'm hanging on in the back...about to puke
Sunday I was feeling a bit better, I had managed to get some food down.  Once again my strategy was the same.  I had already paid and registered so I showed up to be another number in the field.  The race was part of the Midwest Charity Race Series and very much needed riders to show up.   So I started and almost made it the full lap of 3.2 miles before I got dropped.  Once I finished my lap though I went straight to the tent to hide in the shade and drink fluids.  While I was hoping for a much better weekend I still managed to at least have a little fun and go watch other people race.  Next up is Kalamazoo race weekend, hopefully I can get well before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment