Saturday, December 5, 2009

2009 Year In Review

2009...I guess it can be best summed up as a learning experience.   My original goal was to compete in 10-15 races.  In the end I participated in 25+ races.   After my first time trail in March I realized I had a long ways to go.   I wasn't aerobically fit enough, I wasn't strong enough, I knew nothing about race strategy and technique.  The only thing I had was determination and luckily a good group of ridding buddies to support and keep me motivated.   I have done lots of athletic activities in the past and I can't think of anything more demanding then cycling. What defines a great cyclist is the amount of pain and suffering he can endure.  There is no easy hill climbs or sprints.  Every effort is painful, yet I am hooked.  Racing this year was a ton of fun. I got to travel all over this state and see the beautiful parts of Michigan.

So what did I accomplish?  Lots. I started my season as a Category 5 beginner.  I ended it as Category 4 with a petition to Category 3 awaiting approval.  I won a sprint prime in my last race by a landslide.  My top finish was 3rd, in a race where I helped my cycling buddy win. I avoided many crashes, battled injuries.  I even participated in a race in downtown Chicago. Every race I got stronger and smarter.  I ended my season with a top 10 in 5/9 of my last races.  Would have been more if I hadn't suffered a calf and hip muscle injury.  A few crashes I got caught up in set me back also.  That's cycling for you, often the strongest don't win.

So what are my goals for 2010?  Simply win, and help other members of my new team win also.  Try a few mountain bike races.  Move up to Category 1/2? Train smarter,  I overdid it this summer.  I didn't rest right, or train right.   Hopefully with my power meter I will be able to build a smarter training schedule to follow.  2010 should be a fun journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment