Sunday, December 6, 2009

My Equipment


Mountain Bike
2010 Giant XTC 29er 2
This bike is a blast to ride.   It rides great and is perfect for the obstacles Michigan trails have to offer.  The frame is very stiff and climbs great. The new Giant rims allow me to run 25 psi with tubes.  If I had any complaints it would be its weight.  I am guessing mine weights some where around 29lbs right now.   With some upgrades down the road I am sure I could knock it down to 24lbs or so. 

It also tends to push a little bit in corners, but that might just be my handling skills.  I am still adjusting to the 29er ride, but I am hooked on it. Its a great cross training bike and with some Nokian Gazza Extreme 294 studded tires...should be a blast to ride this winter.

 


All Purpose and Training Bike
2008 Novara Squadra
Configured with SRAM Rival, Force crank and Fulcrum Racing 1 wheels.  Somehow this bike survived the entire 2009 season.  For my first season I wanted a cheap disposable bike.  In the end I think I would have been much better off buying and bike with an Aluminum frame from a more reputable manufacture.  While the carbon frame is semi light, it lacks the stiffness to be a great race bike.  However this bike provides a very comfortable ride that is great for 3+ hour training rides.


 
The Bike Carrier
2005 Mazda 3s
What better bike carrier then a sport compact that can get 30 mpg.   So whats the best way to carry expensive race bikes...build a custom bike mount to store the bike safely inside the vehicle.  To do this I took out the rear seat and gutted the back interior, then replaced the rear seat with a plywood sheet. 




Then I added a fork mount that attaches to the spare tire.  Lastly add a little carpet and you have a nice looking bike carrying system.






For 2010 I will have a new race bike.  Post to follow when I get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment