Friday, April 9, 2010

Bronchitis

In February I had Bronchitis for the first time in my life.  At the time I didn't think much of it, but now it's April and I can still feel the effects of the damage it caused to my lungs.   What started as a common cold I ignored, worked through, trained through(I did take it really easy though), has turned into something much more serious then I intended.  See I also suffer from allergies and and asthma, which tends to complicate bronchitis.  So why am I writing about this in April now, because my lungs still haven't returned to 100%.  In fact they have gotten worse in the past two weeks.  With spring here in Michigan, my allergies and asthma have started to kick back in.  With ramping up my training my exposure to these allergens has increased.  Last year I was able to make it through almost the entire spring/summer with very light medication.  Taking that approach to start this season has cost me dearly, I should of just taken my asthma/allergy medication.    Now sitting in April I have lost 4 weeks of good training to my lungs being inflamed.  Hopefully my lungs start to heal, people would think I am a chain smoker by how much I cough of late.  Despite this though I am still in my best shape ever, with a little rest, meds and a greater focus on recovery I should come out of this to have an amazing season.   Oh, and a trip to the doctor for a check up and fill of prescriptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment