Monday, March 22, 2010

Fisk Knob Time Trial


This past weekend I competed in my second Fisk Knob Time Trial.  While the day started out cold with some snow flurries, it was sunny and 45° by the time I started.  Last year it just stayed cold and windy with snow flurries holding about 32°.  I was very happy to have much nicer weather this year.  The day for me however got off to a rough start, I left my heart rate monitor at home.  So I would be flying on the day blind of my effort.  After I nice 30 minute warm up I felt great and went to the start line.  Despite it being cold I still overheated warming up and drank only one water bottle, this would turn out to kill me later.   The first half of the course was mostly downhill with the wind at my back.  I don't think my speed ever dropped below 30 mph in the first few miles.  However once I hit the halfway point I got greeted with a nice head wind.  This would of been a nice point to know my heart rate to gauge effort.  Soon after it wouldn't matter anyways as I started to develop severe cramps in my left leg.  I basically consumed my entire water bottle in the next few minutes.  Within 5-10 minutes the cramping went away, however I was a little sick from drinking that much electrolyte/energy drink.  All and all though I came to the finish hill with a lot of speed and power and sprinted to the top to finish in 47:03.  Which was over 5 minutes faster then my time last year.  I guess that really sums up how far I have come in a year, when I can struggle and its still 5 minutes better then my time last year.   I ended up finishing a solid 5/16 in my 25-29 age group and 42/149 overall.  Not to shabby since I lost basically a month of training in February to a nasty respiratory cold.  My training is progressing nicely for a strong summer of racing.  Next weekend I am going to kick off the road racing schedule by participating in the Waterford Spring Training Series.

Full Results

No comments:

Post a Comment