Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Trip to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park


This past weekend I visited Gatlinburg, Tn with 5 other cyclists and road into the Great Smoky Mountains.  Overall the trip was a blast and a great location to break in my new bike, which I built in my hotel on the way there.  As a group we went on three rides leaving our cabin we rented.  While the weather didn't hold up at least the riding was good.  Our rides all started with a crazy decent down the mountain with numerous tight switchbacks.  It was really a lot of fun, then we would venture into the mountains or the park on the outskirts of town.  This area must be extremely beautiful in the fall or summer, I might have to come back again. The strangest sight was the hundreds of people dressed up like Santa.  Just so happens it was the weekend of the worlds largest professional Santa gathering, crazy... All rides ended however with "the climb" the only way back to the cabin and it was always the worse.  That hill was 3 miles of pain, with gradients nearing nearly 20%.   After each ride I was glad we had a hot tube to relax in.  I'm not sure my legs would have made it without.  Overall I think my spring fitness is coming along nicely.  The real test is coming up this weekend at the Fisk Knob TT.  Hopefully the weather turns out better then last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment